Control your heating and hot water with your phone from anywhere and save up to £150 a year on your energy bills with Hive Active Heating from British Gas. Hive works with your existing gas or LPG heating system (and certain electric boilers) and you won’t even need to change your energy supplier.
Control your heating with your phone, tablet or laptop
Turn your heating on or off, up or down from your chosen device from anywhere with an internet connection. On iOS or Android smartphones and tablets, the Hive app gives you access to your heating systems, while computers can use the online dashboard to take control. You can even set a 4-digit PIN to prevent the kids from changing the temperature when they’re playing with your phone. If you don’t have internet access but want to change the temperature at home, you can also text Hive to change the temperature.
At home, you can use either the wireless thermostat on the wall or simply keep using your device to access it remotely. The wireless thermostat includes a backlight, so you can still see what you’re doing if it’s hidden in a cupboard and can be used to change the temperature or set schedules without the app.
Schedules and Temperature Presets
With Hive, you can choose to set your heating or hot water to come on to a schedule to help you save on your energy bills and ensure your house is warm whenever you come home. Schedules can be manually overwritten, for those days when your home for longer or away. You can also quickly choose one of three favourite temperatures by using the Temperature Presets function, making it easy to warm your home to your needs.
Hot Water Boost
In addition to scheduling you hot water to come on at the right time, you can also use Hive to boost your hot water, turning it on for an hour to ensure you get a warm shower but don’t end up leaving your hot water on all day.
Ever leave the house with the heating still on or come back to a frosty home? With Geolocation alerts, Hive helps you only use your heating when you need it. Geolocation lets you set the distance away from home and the temperature at which you’d like to be notified at when you’re either coming back or leaving. It’ll then prompt you to remotely alter your settings if the temperature is too low or too high. Geolocation won’t automatically change the temperature in your home, instead prompting you to make the change so you’ll still have full control.
Automatic Frost Protection
Hive works to protect your home’s well being when you’re away too. It will automatically switch on if the temperature inside your home drops below 7°C to help protect your pipes from freezing, so you don’t need to worry if you’re on holiday and there’s a cold snap back home. You can also use the Hive app to check the weather at home and adjust the temperature accordingly.
Track your temperature history
Hive also keeps track of your heating history and saves it in graphs, which you can then use to identify when your heating was on but you weren’t at home, so you can edit your schedules accordingly.
- A working central heating system, Hive can be installed by British Gas engineers on gas or LPG systems (and certain Electric Boilers)
- Hive Active Heating cannot currently be installed on multi-zonal systems, i.e. if you have one thermostat that controls the upstairs and one thermostat downstairs
- An existing broadband connection with a spare Ethernet port connection
- An extra power socket close to your broadband router
- An Android or Apple smartphone if you want to use your mobile to control your heating via the Hive app
- An up-to-date web browser to use the online dashboard (IE10+, Chrome, Safari or Firefox)
Please note: This product does not include professional installation.
- Wireless Thermostat- this can placed anywhere in your home within range of your Wi-Fi
- Hub- This plugs into your broadband router to enable your thermostat to be controlled remotely.
- Receiver- This small unit will be installed close to your boiler, and allows the thermostat to communicate with your boiler.