Alexa and Nest Camera - The Perfect Partnership
One of the greatest benefits of home technology is the way that all the kit syncronises with one another and offers perfect collaboration between each other.
Your Nest Security Camera is a great example of this!
Nest Security Camera have proven ever so popular with home owners all around the globe for multiple reasons.
Firstly, because of their aesthetics. Can you remember the big, bulky, horrible security cameras that appeared on the market a couple of decades ago?
Probably hanging from the roof of your local corner shop, these big and bulky cameras lacked sex appeal and had the recording quality of a hieroglyphic.
Now, the Nest Security Camera not only looks incredibly smart, but offers great quality coverage too! And, being wireless, allows for a much smarter and less clunky all-round design.
People also love this kind of camera because you can sit back, relax, and watch a live feed of your security camera on your Amazon Echo Show, Echo Spot or even on your own TV if you have an Amazon Fire stick plugged in?
It is so simple and easy to set up, and you can quickly create a security monitor without having to turn on your tablet or your mobile device.
To do this, you simply need an Amazon device, preferably one of the ones we have mentioned earlier on in this article, and you will be good to go!
Set up with Alexa
But did you know you can set it all up using your Alexa?
Connecting your security camera using the Alexa app:
- Go the menu and tap on Skills.
- Discover the skill that is most relevant (many cameras have apps specific for the cameras, normally outside of their main smart home apps).
- Turn on the skill and link the Alexa with the relevant account.
- Be sure to add the camera as a device, by using the ‘Add Device’ button in the smart home section. Or, you can save the hassle and ask; “Alexa, discover my devices.”
Quite simple, right. This should not take you too long and can actually be quite fun to set up. But what about watching your feed. How can you get your Amazon Alexa to display your Nest Security Camera?
Showing your security camera using Alexa
All you have to say is; “Alexa, show [camera name]”
This camera name will be the one that you have listed in the Alexa app earlier on in our instructions. If you have not done so, it will always default to the name from the camera’s parent app but you can change it at any stage! If you ever want to check the name of your camera in your Alexa app, go to the menu and select Smart Home > Devices.
- If you have a Fire TV Device, or perhaps an Echo Speaker, you can state that command to that in order to watch your feed on your TV (or of course, speak through the remote control).
- If you suddenly get bored of the stream and want to turn it off, simply say; “Alexa, hide [camera name]” or “Alexa, stop.” “Alexa, show the home screen.” Or, you can say, “Alexa, go home,’ or even “Alexa, show the clock”.
- If you have the remote control to hand, you can also press the back button on a Fire TV remote control or the Echo screen to exit.
- All camera makers determine a time for the feed to stay on for; it is 30 minutes for the Nest. You will have to Alexa to show the feed once again if your time is up.
And there we are! It can be quite simple once you have it all set up and you have programmed the devices properly and can be a real time save in the long run. Quite fun too when you are trying to see who is coming to your door whilst binging on the latest hit box set!